Monday, November 26, 2007

the Espresso Book Machine - Beats Kindle hands down

So, I spent this weekend looking into the Espresso Book Machine. It's a Star Trek Esque device that prints books on-demand for about 1 cent a page. What a deal! I'd finally be able to lend out one of my favorite books, Skornia's "Television and Society" , without the fear that I'd never get it back.

Unfortunately, there are less than 10 of E.B.M.'s in existence. Also, I suspect that the affordable 1 cent per page amount will probably go to 2 to 5 cents a page making it not so cool (economics 101). But still, it's about time something like this came into existence.

Also, Open Library , a San Francisco based book company/internet book archive has one but I can't figure out how to get access to it. All I've seen is this number... 415-561-6767 . I need an excuse to call them. Anyone interested in this?

No comments: